Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell: Dead at age 73



What do you say when someone dies that, while they were living, you so strongly disagreed with? It makes you wonder...Many of my Christian friendds responded to the death of Jerry Falwell today with about as much sympathy that they could muster: "I didn't really like that guy", another "I have mixed feelings"--what would cause someone to have mixed feelings about a Christian brother and leader dying? Well, to begin with Falwell was the personification of much of what present Christian teachers in Canada and more progressive America (including myself) are trying to get away from. Pompous, judgmental, triumphalist, ultra-conservative, and on it goes...we do not see this as the attitude of our Jesus.

I wonder at a Christians dedication to establishing the kingdom of God through politics more so than leading the alternative community--the church to work for the world. I believe the church is to work above and beyond the governments of the world to establish peace, justice and mercy in the world--adn use the governments when necessary, adn defintently take part in government and politics shaped around what Jesus has called us to. Though Jerry and I might disagree about what Jesus has called us to (making sure homosexuals never get married or working for the poor and needy of the world? Trying to identify a homosexual Teletubbie or working to eradicate extreme third-world debt?)

His politics didn't help either. His politics were unashamedly right-wing--which isn't fully problematic for the right has good positions on some things in my opinion(sexual morality, abortion) but does not in some other things, and it was those things that Falwell was at times blindly supporting (i.e. the war-machine) in the administrations of both Bush I and II. It is here that I have the biggest problem with right-wing positions, especially Christians who follow it blindly: violence (as you can see from my latest blogs) is diamtertically opposed to the following Jesus. There really is no wiggle-room; in studying the New Testament for seven years I have yet to see room for even discussion on "just war". This always raises questions, which fall outside this entry, but the statement still stands.

Anyway, above and beyond whether I agreed with what Falwell stood for, he fought zealously for what he believed God was calling him to; and though I wonder about some of the more radical statements, positions he took (i.e. the video above)--I can identify with a person doing everything he can do to have heard what he perceives to be the message God has given him. I may disagree with him, but how could I live for unity among the people of God if I can't extend gratefulness to a man who lived out his passions for Jesus, even if it is different then how I am doing it? I guess I could say he knows better now--but that is a two way street isn't it?

Lord have mercy on Jerry's soul...as he enters your presence may we be reminded of the vulnerability of our lives and that they rest in your hands. That at any moment you could take us up to yourself. And someday soon we will all face your your just and good judgment-- some going to life and others to punishment-- and thank you for Jesus, that he provided a way to be forgiven and to enter into life both on that day and amazingly even now as we live here on earth for your glory. Amen.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Well stated Mark, as difficult as it may be we have to find a way to have fellowship with people like Jerry.

I do admire people who are passionate, however, does there come a point when that passion can be taken as hate by those it is directed to and in that way become dangerous.

For example Falwell's passionate belief's against homosexuality translated into him saying hateful and hurtfull things against homosexuals.

When I look at his life I think Jerry's passion was misdirected...I say this not just because I disagreed with the man's theology and politics but more so because of the means he used to proclaim his messages.

Jerry and Pat Robertson would probablly say it doesn't matter how we proclaim our message we are trying to save people's souls. However, I can't see many gay people hearing Jerry and saying oh OK I want to be like that.

Christ gives a radically different example. When he deals with Zachius for instance. He first befriends him (eats with him embraces him as a person) then when Zachius sees that there is something different about Jesus and that he loves the man behind the issues he changes and gives back the money he has taken.

Unfortuanetlly I think we are decieving ourselves if we try to paint Falwell's legacy in a positive light. I do mourn the loss of any human being but am troubled by so much of what this man did and said.

Having said that, some good can always come out of bad situations. Perhaps Liberty University will produce some great leaders in the church who will follow Christ's example of love and life more closely.

Unknown said...

hey, dont know if i agree with you on the no war theory, but that is for another day and another discussion, anyway just thought id drop you a note to ask, when the heck are the new podcasts going to be up. the newest one is galations 3